Social Media Facts
(Last updated: October 2016)
Social Media has grown exponentially over the last few years and has become a primary method for communication in modern day society. Irrespective of your view of Social Media and your choice to use it personally, this post aims to highlight the key players in Social Media and some facts which highlight the importance for business owners to utilise it effectively to enhance their business exposure.
Twitter is an information network made up of 140-character messages called Tweets. It’s an easy way to discover the latest news related to subjects you care about. Read more here
- Twitter has 313 million active users
- 88% of Twitter users are on a mobile device
- 500 million tweets per day
Facebook is a popular free social networking website that allows registered users to create profiles, upload photos and video, send messages. It can be used to author business pages but is linked to a personal profile. When writing this post, there were 83 million fake profiles on FaceBook.
- There are nearly 1.7 billion Facebook users
- 1.5 billion users on mobile devices
- 4.5 billion likes are generated daily
- Five new profiles are created every second
- Every 60 seconds on Facebook: 510 comments are posted, 293,000 statuses are updated, and 136,000 photos are uploaded
LinkedIn is a social networking site for professionals. With over 380 million members worldwide, it is one of the most popular social networks in terms of active users. Available in over 24 languages in more than 200 countries, the website focuses on business connections and industry contacts for employers and working professionals, allowing companies to present themselves through online pages and for users to find job listings and to enhance their connectedness in their area of expertise.
- 380 million registered members
- Total revenue at the end of 2014 was $861 million (a growth rate of 35% over the previous period)
- There are over 39 million students and recent college graduates on LinkedIn
- 46% female users
- 54% male users
Google + Facts
Google may not be as popular as other social networks but it must not be underestimated
- 440 monthly active users
- 2.2 billion profiles
- 26.3% female users
- 73.7% male users
- Instagram has 430 million users
- 70 million photos and videos are sent daily
- 53% of internet users aged 18-29 use Instagram
- 49% female users
- 51% male users
- Acquired by Facebook for 1 billion dollars
A popular image sharing website launched in 2010. More people prefer to view images than read texts which is why this has grown in popularity.
- 110 million users are on Pinterest
- 71% female users
- 29% male users
- 88% purchase a product they pinned
Other Social Networks
- Viber has over 200 million users
- There are 639 million users on Qzone (China)
- 600 million users on Whatsapp
- Facebook messenger has 500 million users
- Wechat is close behind with 468 million users (China)
- Snapchat has been valued at close to $20 billion at the last valuation
- Snapchat has 100 million monthly users
- Russia’s “VKontake” has 100 million users
- Social networks will earn $8.3 billion from advertising in 2015
What does this all mean to you?
Well, that’s for you to work out but with these statistics, you must surely realise the potential exposure for your business. Utilising social media is a smart way to get noticed and is more cost effective than traditional methods, with a much wider audience.
Need some help?
We help businesses to set-up social media channels, brand them and even post content on their behalf. Click here for more information or call on 0800 756 9975 to discuss your requirements.
What’s My SEO Score?
Enter the URL of any landing page or blog article and see how optimized it is for one keyword or phrase.